i woke up and it was fall. it was chilly and grey and i didn't want to get out of bed. we've been slacking off a bit while syndy & colleen were here and it felt exactly the way going back to work after a three day weekend felt back in the days of five day work weeks.
i got up, put on some warmer clothes and eventually got to work. sometime in the late morning i was overcome by the urge to bake something, something that smelled like fall. i needed pumpkin or cinnamon. or both. i opened a few cabinets and thankfully i buy pumpkin in october for the following fall, when this craving hits1. i pulled out a few things and made these - pumpkin peanut butter chocolate chip muffins.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup mini dark chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
for muffin tops (optional):
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. prepare muffin pan - either with papers or by greasing/buttering the pan.
- whisk together flour and baking powder. set aside.
- mix together pumpkin, peanut butter, oil, chocolate chips, eggs, spices, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- stir together cinnamon and raw sugar in another bowl.
- fill muffin tins, about three-fourths full, then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. bake until golden brown and they pass whichever test you prefer, about 25-30 minutes.
- cool in pan on rack and YUM.
this is what monkey looked like the entire time i was baking. she is enjoying the cooler fall weather and would love a muffin. instead she got a pumpkin fart biscuit2.
1 every fall we get pumpkin frenzy. pumpkin cookies and bread and ravioli and oh em gee, pumpkin all the time. we go on a canned pumpking buying spree and there are always a couple of leftover cans from when the fever breaks. they usually sit until the next fall when great googly mooglies, we NEED pumpkin.
2 we refer to trader joes peanut butter dog cookies as fart biscuits. she loves them but oh boy, do they make her farty. shawn went to trader joe's today and while surveying the pumpkin foodstuffs, he found pumpkin dog cookies. even monkey gets to enjoy the flavors of the season! the best part, she isn't stinky at all this evening. well, no more than usual.