something popped up in my blog read today that looked interesting. valley of the (living) dolls: mori fashion, ureya girls and escapism. so i clicked.
i love fashion. i really, really do. i read w. i spurge on italian vogue. i watch project runway. i look at tons of fashion blogs. but here's funny thing: i don't dress fashionably. i dress comfortably. i wear clogs or boots and knee socks, sometimes over tights. i wear dresses over skirts and layer on top of layer. i am warm and often feel like i've gone out in my pajamas.
but i digress, jezebel and fashion. japanese fashion in particular. and this post on mori girls. something in the description of the way struck a bit of a chord with me. i clicked more links. and clicked some more. and then i did a google image and flickr search on mori girls. mori girls, one of the links read, wear layers of thin, cottony dresses& flickr search on mori girls. thick tights and boots, unpretentious makeup..."
and then told a friend who confirmed my suspicions. i could totally be a mori girl.
one of my favorite things i found was this list of rules for being a mori girl:
- You like Q-Pot cake shape accessories (huh?)
- You like loose looking one piece (dress, check)
- You like more simple clothes (you don’t like loudy and showy clothes very much) (check)
- You have a great interest into Nothern Europe fashion (check)
- One of your friends told you “you look like a girl in the forest” (check)
- Your clothes describes a A silhouette (a line skirts, check)
- You like to mix deep colors, dark red, dark green, brown… (check)
- Warm colors fit you well (check)
- You like knits, furs and hats with volume (knits, yes. furs, no. hats with volume, hmmm)
- You are a girl with a soft mood (maybe)
- You are a girl that gives the impression of transparency (not sure what that means)
- You constantly have a gentle mood (probably not)
- You like leather bags (yes)
- You use pochettes for everything (yes)
- You’re attracted to old things (yes)
- You like fob watch (yes)
- You like animal motifs (yes)
- You like dots and checks (yes)
- You like tights and long johns (yes)
- You like lavanda (lavender, check)
- If you wear sneakers you turn them into sleepers (huh?)
- You like to wrap up in stoles and mufflers (check)
- You like fairy tales (indeed)
- You like white color (yes)
- You are loose permed hair (oh noes)
- Or hair in a bob (yes)
- You’d like to be compared to a Russian doll (um, hmmm. maybe when i was 8.)
- Mori Girls are different from “Lolita and so” (i should hope so.)
- You’re girly (yes!)
- Your magazines are Fudge, Spoon, So-En and Spur (a trip to mitsuwa is in order!)
- You like brands like Tsumori Chisato, Cocue and Cuccia (i'm sure i would.)
- You also like Fellissimo (maybe)
- You like to spare your time in cafés (check)
- You like to take a walk your camera in one hand (check)
- You can spare time in grocery stores (check)
- You’re happy to find cute books in bookshops (check)
- Spending time in furniture store gives you pleasure thrills (i wouldn't quite put it that way.)
- You like winter and autumn seasons (autumn yes. chicago winter, no. portland or new orleans winter, yes)
- You think that Honey and Clover fits to Mori Girl (i understand this sentence and yes!)
- You think that Shizuru Satonaka from Simply, I love you is also a Mori Girl (no clue)
i answered yes to enough of those that if i read japanese, i could join the mori girl mixi group, which as far as i can tell is something like facebook or myspace. and really, its probably for the best that i don't.
i'm just happy to learn that not only am i not frumpy, i'm fashionable somewhere on the planet.